The Lord Strathcona Medal (LSM) is the highest Award which can be bestowed upon a Cadet in recognition of exemplary performance in physical and military training.
The Medal and the accompanying Certificate of Merit are awarded by the Lord Strathcona Trust. The issue and wearing of the LSM is authorized by the Chief of the Defence Staff. Each Air Cadet Squadron may award one Medal in each training year, but the award of the Medal is to be based solely on the availability of a worthy candidate. Awarding the LSM annually is not mandatory and should not be a matter of custom for a particular appointment or by seniority alone. The Squadron Commanding Officer determines whether a LSM should be awarded each year, but he is encouraged to seek the recommendations of the Squadron Sponsoring Committee. The LSM is provided through the Area Cadet Officer, and is presented by the Reviewing Officer at the squadron’s annual ceremonial review.
The recipient must have a complete knowledge of the activities of the cadet movement
and must meet the following requirements:
- have a high level of physical fitness;
- have qualified to a training level not below Level 3 in the Air Cadets;
- have met all requirements of their corps/sqn’s mandatory training program
and attended at least 75 per cent of the scheduled training parades in the year of
- have met all requirements of their corps/sqn’s optional/support training
program and participated in at least 50 per cent of scheduled activities in the
year of nomination;
- have completed three years as a cadet; and
- be regarded by peers and supervisors as exemplifying the model cadet.
Please complete the online application before 23:00hrs, 17 Jan 2018 to be considered.